Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Take Time to Give Time

Yes, I know it has been way to long for an update or a random rambling. I do apologize for that and I really do not have any excuse. I guess the only thing I can say for my behavior is that my life has been taken to the next level and I'm still in transition mode. Just to fill some of yall in, I am now in grad school. I am in my fourth week of classes and I already feel the pressure. Let me just clarify that I love my classes and what I am learning here. What am I getting my masters in? Well, my friend, let me tell you..*drum roll*...Masters of Arts in Higher Education and Student Development at Taylor University. Tada! Ok, some of you have no idea what that is or what I can do with that. You know the people who do the student activities or the RD's in your college/univeristy? Ya, that's me. Well, not technically but it's a good description that I can think of. I'm actually working with Taylor World Outreach. I pretty much work with the student leader who lead different ministries that Taylor students can participate in. My classes are amazing because they challenge me to another level of how to interact with students and take into account the history and foundations of higher education as well.



So now I'm located in the middle nowhere, Indiana....in the middle of cornfields. Ya, I never thought I would end up here too. But trust me, God is good on showing me why He brought me here. I never really considered myself being a "city girl" but let me tell you, where I am now...I appreciate tall buildings and civilization a whole lot more. I guess it's a good thing though because I can focuse more on my studies and work. I'm just surrounded by cornfields...and I think I have eaten corn once since I have been here.



So what's the latest though that has been running through my mind lately?...hmmmm....well, I have a bunch of stuff in there from classes and assistantship. But let me give you something that I had to accept today. Priorities. Today I realized that I needed to go back through my list of priorities and see what needs to be changed or added. I knew that transition from undergrad to grad wouldn't be easy but I didn't know how much I needed to change. My priorities are significantly different. I had to come to a point to say it's ok that they have changed. I think I have fought the system too hard to a point of exhaustion. One priority that I knew that I needed to change was the I actually need time to myself. Away from people and their issues. Since my career focus is on student development, I'm constantly around students and people. I'm always checking in on how they are doing and what I can do to help them. I hang out with my class mates outside of school and work. I really come home just to sleep. Solitude. Something I need it and I lack it. I just need time to sit and soak in the presence of who I am....and who God is. I'll admit I do not do that enough. It has caught up with me. How am I willing to serve students with what God has given me if I don't continue to seek out His face? I am just using my own strength and ability that in the end...I'll crash and burn. That is the reason why I feel inadequate at times. I know I am placed in this position for a reason. I need my time alone. I need my time with God. I need my time to give my time.



Are you taking your time? Are you soaking in His presence? Are you taking a moment to yourself and breathe? Turn off all noise. Quiet your mind and soal. You will be surprise to find what is there.







No comments:

Post a Comment