Sunday, March 7, 2010

Don't need no title

During my month of January, I had the chance to work at LeTourneau as an intern. I got to work with the international students which was an amazing experience. I'm including some reflections from that experience:

On my first day at LeTourneau and I learned a very valuable lesson that I would hope to continue throughout my life. I realized that it does not matter the title that you carry, what does matter is the impact you have on people you interact with. Throughout my whole life I have watched my parents work hard at their low-paying jobs. Through that example they taught me the value of working hard without the big title. They also taught me that it’s the hard workers to keep an eye on because they are the ones that teach the sincere life lessons about humility and leadership. During my time of being a student the people who I engaged in great conversations with were the secretaries of the departments. They were the women that know my name and were always eager to hear what was happening in my life. They also knew my sweet tooth and always saved the best candy for me. Even though there may be some secretaries out there that may be grumpy, there are still those out there that are genuinely the sincerest people I have interacted with.
On this particular day I sat down with a woman that had the title “secretary” yet what others did not know is that she works as a full-time student services worker. I could feel passion for the international students while she spoke. I took the opportunity to meet with her to ask to gain important knowledge on working with the international students at LeTourneau. The majority of LeTourneau’s international students are from Korea due to the sister school relationship with Hangdong University but LeTourneau still receives other students from different countries from different continents as well. Already having a stable relationship with this woman, I had the confidence to ask some hard questions about what was actually happening in the office. She was not afraid of being honest of what she observed and experienced. She knew what was true and biblical. There was just something different about her that didn’t have me fooled. I knew that was she was actually saying was the truth and that she had a reason behind it all.
She spoke to me about how in everything I do, it must be Holy Spirit filled. God is everywhere and we cannot ignore the fact that he has total control of everything. She told me of numerous stories of how she watched different people worked with different ways. She incorporates scripture and prayer into her daily life and integrates into everything she does at LeTourneau. I know she is not alone on doing that but I can fully see it in her. She always puts the students before everything else she does. Her own sons help her out if there is a student that needs a ride or a study buddy to work with. Talking with Mrs. Higgs was not only a reminder of that valuable virtue in my life but also made me grow in appreciation of those educators that do not have the title. Throughout the rest of the time I spent at LeTourneau the door to her office was open. She was there for me to vent but also to process what was happening my whole month there.
For the rest of the week, my life was consumed with the preparation for the new students. My main focus was the preparation for welcoming the international students specifically. I immersed myself in gaining cultural sensitivity information from staff that interacts with Korean students and tried to grasp an understanding. I knew in the back of my mind that I would still have a bit to learn when actually interacting with the students. When they first arrived, I recalled my memories when I first arrived in Costa Rice during my experience studying overseas. I remembered all the anxiety and nervousness I first felt. I could just imagine myself all over again about how I was about to go on an adventure and be challenged in so many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment