Saturday, October 23, 2010

"Icing On The Cake"

Humility is everywhere...here's one example:

Throughout my life, Mama Lima has been an example of a real Christian woman. One example that she displays is strength. Even though the woman is only 5 feet, she has strength like no other person. Through that strength she has protected and taken care of me through both the glorious and rough times. She has always instilled the value of learning and education ever since I was a little girl. Education came first. She always told me, “Do your homework…because you don’t deserve to work hard like me.”

Below is a StoryCorps video that is very similar to my story (except I’m an only child and Mama Lima is from Guatemala):




I would always get in trouble because I would steal post-it notes, paper clips and highlighters from people’s desks. I would make an “art project” (I think that’s where my love for post-it notes developed). I think I made more work for Mama Lima, but I think she got use to my "art projects" by then. That never stopped her from buying me snacks from the vending machine or giving me candy she would find on people’s desks.

It’s been over 30 years since Mama Lima immigrated from Guatemala to the states, and she still works hard. She still tells me to do my work. Whenever I’m home on break, she still brings me little treats from work. She still inspires me every day.

“There’s nothing that could stand in my way that didn’t stand in yours more. It’s the most important thing for me, having gone to college, and I feel like anything I do on from here on out is ok because I’ve already achieved my dream. Everything else is icing on the cake.”

Yes, mama…I’ll do my homework.



Who is your example of humility?

No comments:

Post a Comment