Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Learn: Define Humility and Listen

What did I learn today?

Today I realized that I have been blogging quite a bit on the concept of humility, but I never really gave the definition of what humility means to me. It’s like I have been beating around the bush. I blogged about how I saw humility lived out and why pride is important to acknowledge when exploring the topic of humility.

Bottom line #1: Humility is being fully aware of the identity of one’s self while being modest while not being arrogant or prideful. Yet, one can feel insignificant and lower superiority while still maintaining confidence.

That’s my ideal definition of humility. Again, as I continue on this journey of exploring what humility is, I’m still in the process of finding out what my definition truly means to me.
It’s funny that ever since I have shifted my blogging to more of an intentional learning journal, I have become more aware of what I learn each day (which is pretty much the point of the assignment). Anyways, as I continue to learn, inside and outside the classroom, I realize the more I need to embrace humility. I probably have stated this in previous blog entries, but the more “education” I receive the more I realize that I really don’t know anything at all.

Funny, huh?

Learning requires humility. Without humility you are not able to receive information, knowledge, or skills to continue on in life. In order to take learning to a deeper level of learning, humility must be the front man on lines. For me, deep learning requires emotion to be put into play. For me to really grasp the deeper part, I may relate back to a memory, person or anything that is a major part of who I am. As I continue to increase my deep learning ability, I must remind myself that humility is a major part of my learning experience. I like to talk. I like to talk a lot. I like to express what is on my mind and what opinions I have about the matter. Yet, if I am to be taken serious and hopefully teach others, I must listen. That’s communication.

I must continue to remind myself that listening to others is important and that everyone comes from a different perspective. That’s part of the learning process. If we just shut up for a minute and listen to what others have to say, we could be astonished of the wisdom and knowledge that some people have.

Bottom line #2: As I continue to learn how to define humility, listening is what I must do to continue my deeper sense of learning.

That’s what I learned today.

Are you listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment