Thursday, June 17, 2010

"Lima, imagine if this was your house?"

Pregunta: Have you ever seen tie-dyed bell peppers?...me neither. I had to take a picture. I love bell peppers and green/yellow...therefore, I was super excited. Don't worry it's not real die...it's how they really are. Ecuador is awesome.


Yesterday, after work, I met up with the rest of my students during their culture class hour. After grabbing a pitsachio (yummers) ice-cream cone at Fruitilados, we went to Eduardo Vega's ceramic art gallery. This culture class field trip is the best one so far. Yes, it may have to do that we went to an art gallery(me + art = love)...but the art pieces were amazing. The students were amazed at the beauty and uniqueness of creativity of E.Vega. Vega is orginally from Cuenca but went to Europe to study art, but eventually Vega returned to his roots in Cuenca to continue his career in art. In 1973, Vega started his ceramic art business in Cuenca and then his name Vega became popular. By incorporating what he learned during his time internationally and with Cuenca culture, Vega has become a well-known creative artist in Ecuador. You can see his works at different historical places througout the city of Cuenca.



I immediately fell in love with Vega's work when we walked into the gallery. Vega uses a lot of earth colors with splashes of bright color. Vega also has a unique way to use shapes and texture to his work. I took advantage of the place and bought my loved ones some gifts. I wish fly to Houston right now just to give my mom her gift and then come right back...yes, that's how awesome it is. Let's just say I was walking around the gallery with my eyes drooling over the ceramic pieces. I was so engrossed in Vega's work that the Spanish professor had to literally drag me out of the gallery.

Also the view from the gallery was breath taking. One of my student's asked me: "Lima, imagine if this was your house?" I couldn't answer...that's how much I was in love with the place.


And yes, I splurged and got this beautiful tree tile for myself. (Mel, you should be jumping up and down for joy since this is going in our apartment) I had two main reasons why I couldn't leave without this piece: 1) I love trees...they are my favorite and 2) I love the color green...and 3) Art makes me drool with bliss...can't you see the twinkle in my eye. (I know I said I had two main reason but I figured the third was a given)

Ecuador + Art + Students = a very happy Lima.
ps~I was really...really....really bummed and a little shocked at Spain's loss yesterday. What was that all about? Also, Nigeria is killing me...I had hopes for them. Lastly, I'm torn who to cheer for in the France vs. Mexico....France, maybe?

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I LOVE VEGA.

    So jealous of you right now.

    So thankful that you're blogging because it's like talking to you. You know, you talk, I listen... just kidding :-) Sounds like you're in love with Ecuador.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do i sense some purpose being found??? :)
    *Hugs!*

    ReplyDelete