Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Modern Art Experience

Yesterday I got to visit the Museo de Arte Moderno which is located at the south side of the Plaza de San Sebastian. Here's a little history lesson for y'all...according to the Lonely Planet: Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands: "In 1739, when this plaza was still used for bullfights, it was a mob of cuencanos (folks from Cuenca)--not the bull--who mauled a member of La Condamine's geodesic expediction here, apparently because of an affair with a local woman." Well, that's not the first time I have heard some silly happened all because of a woman.

The museum was once a home for the insane and mentally ill. It's a pretty sweet place with many different sizes of rooms, which were perfect for different art works that required their own room. Of course, there were some art pieces that took me a while to figure out what the heck they were expressing. Then there were some others that I just completely gave up on. It was interesting to see how art is displayed in a different culture...yet I found that there was some similarities. People are displaying different emotions that are feeling inside. Others are simply on a mission to express a message. Others just want to do art. Funny, I feel like everyone does that everywhere.






To recover from my modern art experience, I decided to treat myself to one of the best chocolate covered strawberries ever. Not only was this friendly to my budget, but my taste buds jumped for joy at this event.






Coming home from a day exploring Cuenca, I found this little surprise in the middle of hallway. Primo-Cuenca was so focused on his drawing that he didn't even look up or notice anything. He made want to come to that age where you didn't have responsibilites to face.



By the way, primo-Cuenca looks cute now...but just wait when you meet him in person ;)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


USA won today. It was an emotional day for us gringos...but we are ok. Thank you, Donovan, for scoring at the 91st minute, while we were all holding our breath and crossing our fingers. You can check out the goal we were waiting for here. (Picture taken from the Huffington Post sports website)

No comments:

Post a Comment