Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Morning Walk...I shall miss you

This is how Lima spends her mornings...

After hitting the snooze button a couple of times, I finally struggle out of bed. I pop in my contacts and stumble my way to the shower. I stare at my clothes for what seems for an eternity while deciding what I should wear. Everyday I have spent in Ecuador, I have managed to wear a scarf. (It's freaking cold in the June/July months). Finally, after being clothed, I shuffle my way towards the kitchen table where a lovely cup of coffee awaits my presence. Ah yes, the sun begins to shine, the birds begin to chirp, and life begins to start at this moment. Thank you, mama-Cuenca for waking up to make me this cup of joy.


After having my pan con cafe, I run to my room grab my bag and head out the door for my daily walk to work/church where students take classes. Everyday I walk about 20 minutes and it's always an adventure. There always seem to be a couple of street dogs that like to stare at me like I'm there lunch. Some follow behind me and linger and then leave. Others like to bark at me like I was going to attack them. Either way, I usually survive the attack of the street dogs.
Not only am I greeted by the street dogs, but I usually get a honk or two and a whistle or a lovely shout from the morning traffic. Even though it could be flattering, I prefer to not let the machismo "compliments" interrupt my morning walk.


I always look forward to my morning walks. It's just me, Cuecna, and my thoughts...and the occasion random surprise. I get my heart pumping with the tiny hill that I have to walk up (Thank you, altitude). I also have a chance to catch some amazing views that neither Indiana or Texas has. Sometimes I just stop for a second or two and just stare....then a local would stop and stare me.

Ah yes, my morning walk...I shall miss you. You are good for my health. You help me adjust to the altitude. You provided the street dogs some entertainment. You gave me some great sights to see. Please come back with me to the "land of Up"...the cornfields are not as good to me as you are.

Well, I shall go and get my winning prize from my bet with papa-Cuenca. Urugauy won which means that I get some good chocolate, Mexico lost which means papa-Cuenca doesn't get his banana split. Oh, the harsh life...

No comments:

Post a Comment