Monday, June 14, 2010

Today is Flag Day


While the rest of the world was watching the France vs. Uruguay game, I was watching an live intense soccer game. At Yes, those are children. And yes, it was that intense. They had a ref and called yellow cards...there was even a red card. I loved it. I found myself shouting and yelling. Mama-Cuenca made fun of me.







I'm pretty sure these children could out play me any day. Besides from being out of shape and the high altitude, they had skills. In Latin America, the love for futbol starts when the child starts walking. It was interesting that the boys who didn't play were the ones hanging out with girls, you can see the seperation. I was ok with missing the France game...this was more entertaining.




I think in these past two weeks or so, I have eatten more hot dogs that I normally do in a year. They taste so amazing. It's funny what kinds of foods you miss while you are outside the states. In Costa Rica it was Cracker Jacks and I never eat them in the states. Normally, I would boycott a hot dog. Now when I'm offered a hot dog here....boom, I'm all over that sucker. Maybe being in Latin American makes me crave baseball food...who knows???

Another thing I miss about being in Latin America is how awesome birthday parties are. With futbol, food, loud music, and contests of who can shake their hips the best, birthday parties are a reason to celebrate life. Hermana-Cuenca and I had a blast shaking our hips and blowing our whistles.
It's World Cup fever here among my students and the Ecuadorians. (Note: my posts for the next couple of weeks will have a shout out to the World Cup) On Saturday, we all got together at a student's house to watch the USA vs. England game. We went gringo and order some good Pizza Hut and drank some Coke. During the national athem, I stood proudly for my country with my right hand over my heart. And yes, my students made fun of me. It was great to get together, talk in English, eat food covered in cheese, and make sarcastic jokes at the silly goals England and USA made.

My familia-Cuenca like calls me "La Waka Waka" now...since I would practice my Shakira moves around the house every now and then.


Today is Flag Day...and this morning I woke up with this song with my head, Wave Your Flag. Weird, I know. This song is a good picture of the patriotic pride and passion that we have in our countries. If you listen to the lyrics, they are a little political. Despite the hardships that the majority of the countries in the World Cup have, the World Cup is what provides hope and chance to work towards a goal (no pun intended). Yes, it's just a game...but it's more than that.




Now....wave your flag.



No comments:

Post a Comment