Thursday, June 3, 2010

Skype gets a two thumbs up

Yesterday was a day spent of classes for mis chicos. Their day started out with four hours of Spanish class and then the afternoon with another 3 hours of culture class. Woof. On the flipside, culture class is only a couple days of the week. During the mornings, when the students have Spanish class, I have the joy of “working” on my thesis. Don’t ask me how much I have done, the question is “have I started?”. The word “thesis” turns my off motivation to do any work. Honestly, I spend most of my morning catching up on emails from my job back at Taylor and other miscellaneous productive tasks that take up a good chunk of my morning. I do get to interact with the students during their culture class, and get to take a couple notes on my own. It’s like a win-win situation. I help students understand the Ecuadorian culture in their own context, and I get some culture immersion of my own. I’m a fan of win-win situations.

This late morning I got to Skype with my lovely Boricuan best friend, Annette. I miss my bff. We are like two peas in a pod. It’s friendships like hers that make me miss Texas. At least we have Skype to bring us together and laugh at our cheesy jokes and weird hand gestures. Skype is awesome. I love talking to people and I love free stuff. Therefore, I love Skype. It’s amazing how I can have a conversation thousands of miles away and get to see people’s faces too. I’m all about faces. Skype gets a two thumbs up for free communication, especially for those who have international friends or are located far away from your loved ones.

Tonight we are going on an adventure to try Cuy. What is cuy? Cooked guinea pig. Yes, the cute little furry things that gringos have as pets. According to Wikipedia, cuy is “a traditional food of Peruvian, Colombian, and Ecuadorian Andean people”. We are and we would. My students are ecstatic. I’m freaking out. Talk about culture immersion and trying new things. I’m slowly breathing in and out as I think about what I’m about to endure tonight.
Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment