Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Learn: Being Bilingual is Beneficial


What did I learn today?

Today during a break during class, I was able to catch Laura Chinchilla’s (Costa Rica’s president) interview on the CNN show, Rick’s List. For those of you, who know me well; know that I love Costa Rica. I was privileged to study abroad there, and had many amazing life changing experiences there. It was also in Costa Rica where my passion for Latin America (which includes it's history, politics, people, culture and etc.) bloomed. I just loved the fact that Chinchilla was able to speak English so well, but she also did an amazing job communicating affectively the responses about what makes Costa Rica so special.


This just adds to the fact why being bilingual in this day of age is beneficial. You are able to communicate to a broad audience, but you also gain respect in international affairs. Good for her for speaking boldly about Costa Rica and it's relationship with the United States. Because she used professional language, I was able to understand her main points. Even though Sanchez had to clear up a question for her, he still valued and respect her responses.This encouraged me. Even though I can communicate fluently in Spanish, I still lack the professional language. I know that I am not capable enough to present a presentation in Spanish, but there is always room for improvement. In the near future (meaning after May when I graduate), I aspire to improve my Spanish to a point where I can speak affectively in a professional setting.
Bottom line: Being bilingual, in a professional matter, is impressive, beneficial and respectful.

That’s what I learned today.

(You can watch Chinchilla's interview here)

No comments:

Post a Comment