Monday, September 27, 2010

Learn: "Don't Be Sorry. Be Right."


What did I learn today?

For some of us, learning a lesson may be a magical experience. Like those commercials you see of a child opening up a book and a light shines out with stars and happiness floating through the air. For others, learning a lesson is painful. It may cost us some money, dignity, or pride. Since I’ve been blogging about learning, I figured I should elaborate on what’s my take on learning. For me, I’m quite the stubborn type and it usually hurts for me to learn a “life” lesson. Whenever I did something that was not so smart or dropped the ball on a responsibility I had, I would apologize over and over again to Papa Lima. My own guilt would get the best of me (usually, my parents would let my guilt be my punishment, which I think is the worst). I figured by saying sorry over and over again would fix the problem. At the time, I didn’t realize that Papa Lima was asking questions about the situation to help me process what happened and learn from my mistake. He would just get so fed up with me saying “Sorry”, that he would say, “Don’t be sorry. Be Right”. That confused the heck out of me. Years later, I finally understand what he meant.

“Don’t be sorry. Be Right” meant: quite dwelling, learn from your mistake and move on.

Ooooooooooh.

Today, Papa Lima’s words keeps repeating over and over again. This semester has been front heavy for me. From my assistantship (internship), school work, and thesis, I have been quite busy. Today, I realized all the mistakes I was making or had made (a realization I had a couple days ago contributed to this as well). Then out of nowhere, Papa Lima’s words came into my mind. It was like a light bulb that went off. That’s what he meant this whole time.
At the beginning of the semester, I picked humility as a word that sums up what learning is in my Facilitating Student Learning Class. Last year, my first grad school year, I realized that I pretty much didn’t know anything at all. I had to humble myself to God’s great power and knowledge for me to achieve my goals. Humility was the only way to survive last year. Humility is the only way to get me through this year. Humility will be the only way to continue on in the future.

Bottom line: With humbleness, don’t be sorry. Be right.

Gracias Papi.

That’s what I learned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment