Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Learn: Don't Take It Personal


What did I learn today?

Don’t take it personal when someone, who is respected and knowledgeable in the field, tells you about a weakness you have. This person did a very good job about being honest, but provided encouragement about my weakness. Yet, I have to admit that it stung a little bit. At the moment, I reacted grateful for them telling me. Then after thinking about it, I was easily discouraged. I just wanted to quit and go home to Texas.

I am blessed on having a boss who is truly concern for my well being. When I plopped down on her couch with my discouraged face, she stopped what she was doing and listened to me. She not only helped me process the situation and my weakness, but advocated the growth that could result from this situation. She gently reminded me that this person really does know what they are talking about and does really care about my reputation in higher education. Granted, there are supervisors/advisors/mentors out there that are not encouraging at all, and don’t have people skills. I have been in those situations and have not reacted the way I should have. This situation was different though. I am grateful that it was a learning opportunity. It’s important to distinguish those different situations and when to say “enough is enough” or “thank you for that”.

In the end, I really did appreciate today. This morning I was able to dream big and set some future goals, and in the afternoon I was reminded on the baby steps that I needed to take to get there. Five years from now, I’ll look back and realize how right this person was and see how much I have grown.

Bottom line: Don’t take it personal when a superior is giving you constructive feedback about a weakness you have. In the end, it’s actually encouragement that they are providing.

That's what I learned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment