Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Learn: No Time for the Blame Game


What did I learn today?

Today I went into the office knowing that I had a full work day of meetings straight to 5pm. I only had an hour before chapel to prepare material for my students and brace myself what kind of news these meeting will bring. Let’s just say that I’m grateful to be working in position where my supervisor knows that this is all a learning experience.

Leadership is an ongoing growing experience. I don’t think there is a time in life where an individual would stop growing and striving to become a better person. Today I learned another aspect of leadership. Whenever planning a major event, each person has their part. From the supervisor to the next set of leader(s) to the next set of people, when one person drops the ball on one thing another has to make up for it. What I had to learn specifically today is that even though the people I am leading did not do their job effectively that does not entirely reflect who I am a leader and person. Granted, it does reflect the communication line or maybe even the relationship with the people I am leading. I had to re examine what I had done wrong. When I apologized in a meeting today, the others were shocked. They stated that I have no need to apologize. They were willing to take the fault. I reassured them that they could not take the entire fault. I’m in a leadership position over them and I have responsibility for their actions. But today I decided that we shouldn’t play the blame game with each other and ourselves. Time to evaluate and move on. What’s the backup plan?

From a leader to the followers, everyone has their part. There’s no reason to play the blame game. Also, don’t beat yourself up because you didn’t communicate clearly or you forgot to do that certain thing. Learn from your mistake and move on.

That’s what I learned today.

1 comment: