Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Learn: Research vs. Research Writing


What did I learn today?


Today in my Advanced Research class (AKA: Thesis class), I learned that I actually like the concept of research. I like to do the reading and find out about the material that is being searched. Yet, when it comes to the writing process of what I’m researching is where my weakness overcomes this desire to research. For class, I’m in a “research consulting group” that is seeking out more of an accurate measurement scale for Spirituality of students. The research team that presented this job to us is hoping to measure the Spirituality both freshmen and seniors for growth. While I was meeting with my group, we were discussing how our thesis was going. Then someone mentioned how much they disliked research. Then another team member voiced that she loves research and numbers. It dawned on me then. I like to research. I like to read as much material as I can on the topic, except when it comes to statistics or number (it’s a little bit more difficult for me).

When I was in undergrad and how I had to write a billion exegesis for all my Bible classes. I would spend hours about hours just chilling in the library just looking up the context and Hebrew/Greek just for one verse. Then when it came to the writing part, I was always scrambling. The similar concept is happening with my thesis. I love my topic and I could probably give a lecture on ethnic identity development, but I’m struggling on how to write, effectively and appropriately, what I researched. In that moment that I realized that I actually like to research but I’m horrible in writing, I signed up for the writing center that Taylor has to offer. The writing center is a place where students can go for tutoring on writing and grammar, but also to review papers. It saved me so many times last year, and now I’m humbling going to go over my proposal. If I’m passionate about my topic and hope to present it at conferences, I must put the same amount of effort into my writing. That will reflect more than if I had ten more sources than the normal.


This may sound nerdy, but research is fun and intriguing....writing it...well, still working on that.

That’s what I learned today.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way. Hense the reason I'm defending in October. Know that you are just as capable writing what you gathered from your research. My fear was always that I wasn't an "authority" for writing/reporting research.

    Anyways, I'm eating Skittles in my office and wish someone was here to share them with. Please come visit whenever you need a Taylor break :-) Thanksgiving?? Just sayin....

    ReplyDelete