Monday, September 6, 2010

Learn: Make Sleep a Top Priority

Happy Labor Day!

Before I write my next learning adventure, it will be beneficial for me to establish what my definition for learning is. According to Mr. Webster, in his New World Dictionary, his definition of learning is “the acquiring of knowledge or skill”. That makes sense. But here is Lima’s definition based on 13+ years of attending school: Learning is the ability to gain information, facts or data in different forms from intellect to practical skills.
Hopefully that made sense.

Today I learned that sleep is amazing, but when you are sick it feels like you can never get enough of it. Maybe it’s the lack of sleep and the over abundant amount of stress I experience this past week made my body go into shock sick mode. Today I slept more than I did in one night last week. I always knew that I need to get the 8 hours of sleep. Yet with grad school, planning a community service all day event and trying to maintain a social life, sleep gets the back burner. Today my body learned that sleep is necessary. Having body aches and sinus headaches are not worth the lack of sleep. This means that I must be willing to give up something. This also means that I must continue to look over my list of priorities. I learned that I was sacrificing my health for other things that are not as high on my priority list. I lost my focus and accountability.

So what do I do with what I learned? Take action. I’m setting a bed time at 11pm and, if necessary, no later than midnight. This means that I must do my homework ahead of time and use my time wisely on other important chores, which leads to how much I want to keep my social life. Sacrifices are what I’m going to have to make in order to keep my priorities straight. I have one year of grad school left. I can do this.

That’s what I learned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment