Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Learn: Critical Feedback is Not Scary



Learning, in a classroom setting, is like a ship. You can say that the instructor is like the captain and is steering the ship in the right direction at the same time is making sure his or her crew is doing their job. Everyone in the crew has a certain job to do and if they do not perform their duty then the ship cannot sail the ship right. In a classroom setting, everyone has a part in the learning, those who contribute to the learning vocally and those who also take it in.

So what did I learn today?

I learned that critical feedback on a thesis proposal is super important in the learning process. In one of our classes, we are doing peer reviews for our thesis proposals. Today was our first to ever do this in our class and it went great. I learned that the way feedback is communicated can really affect the way how it can be taken. When I first heard that we will be doing peer review for our thesis, I literally flipped out. I was actually terrified. I just had horrible thoughts of negative comments and me crying my eyes out. After today and seeing my classmates being so positive yet committed to each other’s growth really helped. Now I’m actually encouraged with the peer review exercise. I’m actually looking forward to it. Yes, I’m still a bit nervous but I know that in the end it’s for the best. They are still my friends and won’t judge me if my idea is not as elaborated as it should be.

Critical feedback is beneficial when there is a commitment to growth.

That’s what I learned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment